11 Dec / 2015
It’s always exciting for us here at Baker when we acquire new brands and add them to our expanding portfolio. We are always striving to offer our customers the finest selections of beer, hard cider, wine and non alcoholic beverages. While many brands have come and gone over the years, the Bakers have believed that “brand building” was and will continue to be a key to our success. Along with that premise and the dedicated service from our employees, we will continue to help grow both new items and existing brands in Vermont.
We are happy to now be offering the following breweries to our Beer List:
- Allagash Brewing Company is located in Portland, Maine. Founded in 1994, Allagash produces bottle-conditioned beers. They have six-year round beers in its portfolio, seven yearly releases & numerous other keg only releases.
- Baxter Brewing Company is located in Lewiston, Maine. Baxter produces nine different beer varietals, including lagers, ales and seasonal options.
- Dogfish Head is a brewing company based in Milton, Delaware and produces 175,000 barrels of beer annually. The produce year round, occasional rarities, seasonal and collaboration brews.
- Genesee Brewing Company is located in Rochester, New York. They have been brewing beer since 1878.
- Founders Brewing Co. was founded in 1996 and is located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Founders produces eight year-round beers and several seasonal & limited production beers.
- Lord Hobo Brewing Company is located in Woburn, Mass. They are a sprawling brewery with 40 barrels, plus a taproom where customers can sample their hoppy ales.
- Sea Dog Brewing Company was founded in 1993 and is located in Bangor, Maine. Sea Dog’s beers are formulated and brewed in a traditional style using imported malted barley and German hops and grains.
- Sebago Brewing Company was established in 1998 and are located in Gorham, Maine. They produce year-round, seasonal beers as well as single batch and speciality beers.
- Shipyard Brewing Company is located in Portland, Maine and was founded in 1994. Shipyard is Maine’s largest brewer. They offer year-round, seasonal and specialty beers.
- Uinta Brewing Company is a craft brewery founded in 1993 in Salt Lake City, Utah. They produce a diverse range of beers, including pale ales, brown ales, stouts, hefeweizen’s & ipa’s.
Have you had the chance to try any of these brands? If so, which ones are your favorite? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook!
02 Dec / 2015
The Urban Farm Fermentory located in Portland, Maine, is our newest addition to our expanding portfolio. The UFF is a community-driven, food hub, skills-sharing facility, experimental micro Urban Farm, locally-sourced Fermentation Factory. They primarily ferment Hard Cider, Mead and Kombucha using experimental local ingredients.
The Urban Farm Fermentory is the “first fermentory”. “Fermentory, search out the definition and you’ll find only us. In our case, inventing the word that anchors our company name was necessary. Not a brewery, winery, or distillery, our wares are lesser-known fermentations: kombucha, wild fermented cider, mead, and those to come. The people behind the product, the makers perpetuating the mark, the U.F.F. team consists mostly of homegrown individuals. Maine is a place where roots matter, and it hasn’t taken long for those team members from outside the state to plant themselves in Portland, a foodie city on the rapid rise. Our products, like our name, are distinct. Our products, like our people, are true to Maine.”
Interested in trying some delicious UFF products? We will be selling the following Urban Farm Fermentory Kombuchas & Ciders:
- Ginger and Blueberry Kombucha in Bottles and on Draught
- Dry Cidah Bottles and Draught
- Hopped Cider Bottles and Draught
- Amalgam Sour Cider Draught
- Baby Jimmy Bottles and Draught
UFF ciders and kombuchas are now available for shipping to stores and bars across Vermont! Unfortunatley, we will not be offering UFF’s Mead’s for purchase. Keep up-to-date with news and information on the Urban Farm Fermentory by checking out their Facebook page.
We hope you enjoy these new products! Have you tried them before? If so, what is your favorite kombucha or cider? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook!
23 Nov / 2015
Did you know that the Boyden Valley Winery and Spirits, located in Cambridge, VT was recently the recipient of the UVM Grossman School of Business Award for Outstanding Multi-Generational U.S. Based Family Enterprise? The Grossman School of Business honored four family businesses for excellence in the areas of entrepreneurship, innovation and sustainability at the UVM Family Business Awards last month, on Oct. 30 in Waterman’s Memorial Lounge. Boyden Valley Winery & Spirits is celebrating their 20 year anniversary next year and look forward to continuing their partnership with local fruit producers that support sustainable practices and provide them with exceptional Vermont fruits to craft high-quality wines, ciders, and spirits.
All of Boyden Valley’s wines are fermented in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks to produce elegant, lively whites, and medium bodied reds full with character. Aged in time-honored French Oak casks their cellars yield mature, European-style wines. Have you sampled their delicious ‘Glogg’? Glogg is a mulled spice wine that is great served warm in a mug with dried fruits and almonds, or, even better, with any kind of pumpkin desserts or pecan pie. Be sure to try the Vermont Ice Cider. It’s made using only Vermont grown Northern Spy, Macintosh, and Empire apples to create a truly extraordinary cider. Aged in French oak barrels the final product is a sweet, but complex combination concentrated apple flavors and light, toasted oak that pair perfectly with a number of desserts.
Won’t you join us for a tasting to sample Boyden Valley’s delicious wines and ciders? Beginning, Friday, November 20th thru Friday, December 18th, you can stop by various supermarkets, stores, tasting rooms and beverage stores and treat yourself to a fun tasting event!
Please find the Boyden Valley Tasting Event Schedule below:
- Friday, 11/20 – Shelburne Supermarket 4-6pm
- Saturday, 11/21 – Cheese Traders 2-5pm
- Saturday, 11/21 – Shaw’s Stowe 3-6pm
- Sunday, 11/22 – Commodities 3-6pm
- Sunday, 11/22 – Richmond Beverage 4-6pm
- Sunday, 11/22 – Vermont Tasting Room at Hoppy Valley Organics 1-5pm
- Saturday, 11/28 – Cabot Annex Waterbury 12-5pm
- Sunday, 11/29 – Beverage Warehouse 3-5pm
- Friday, 12/11 – Sweet Clover Market 4-7pm
- Saturday 12/12 – Richmond Beverage 4-6pm
- Sunday 12/13 – Beverage Warehouse 3-5pm
- Friday, 12/18 – Cheese Traders 2-5pm
- Friday, 12/18 – Shelburne Supermarket 4-6pm
The holidays are quickly approaching! Boyden Valley’s delicious wines and artisan ciders can make a great addition to any feast or dinner party. They will also be hosting a Ice Wine & Cocktail Open House taking place on Saturday, December 19th. Enjoy and learn about the variety of premium Vermont Ice products they produce. There will be a number of other Vermont products that they will be using to craft exceptional cocktails throughout the weekend, this is one event you will not want to miss!
What are your favorite products that Boyden Valley produces? Share your comments with us on Facebook!
Do you love Vermont craft beer paired with delicious local fare? If you answered yes, then we have a special treat for you! The Stone Hearth Inn & Tavern is hosting an amazing 4-course beer dinner on Thursday, November 19th. Celebrate the flavors of the fall season with delectable edibles & amazing beers from Otter Creek Brewing!
Seats for this upcoming beer dinner are still available and a reservation is required. The cost of the dinner is $35/per person plus tax & gratuity. Please call 802.875.2525 to reserve your spot today! The Stone Hearth Inn & Tavern Signature Beer Dinner will be taking place on Thursday, November 19th beginning with a cocktail reception at 6:30pm with the dinner to follow.
Now that you have all the details, here’s look at the mouth-watering dinner menu:
06 Nov / 2015
With all this beautiful Fall weather we’ve been having here in Vermont, it’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just two weeks away! Are you hosting a Thanksgiving get-together with friends and family this year? Prepping for turkey day can take some serious planning. Have you planned your menu yet or given any thought to what you might offer your guests to drink? We all know that the holidays are for celebrating and being merry, so why not add some wine to this year’s festivities? Having the perfect red or white wines to pair with your feast is important, that’s why we are partnering with Café Provence in Brandon, Vermont for a special Thanksgiving Wine Tasting.
Won’t you join us? Below, find all the information you need for this unique tasting event!
Wine Tasting: Wines for Thanksgiving, will take place next Wednesday, November 11th from 5:30-7pm. The cost for the tasting is $15/person and hors d’oeuvres will be served. As an added bonus, if you stay for dinner after the tasting, Café Provence is offering a 10% discount off your meal! Please call 802-247-9997 for reservations.
The following wines have been carefully selected to pair nicely with you delicious Thanksgiving dishes. They are as follows:
- Willm Brut Blanc de Blanc, France
- Tablas Creek Patelin de Tablas Blanc, Paso Robles
- Mohua Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough NZ
- Boundary Breaks Ovid Line North Dry Riesling, Finger Lakes
- Angeline Reserve Pinot Noir, Russian River
- Caparzo Sangiovese Toscana, Tuscany
- Fox Run Cabernet Franc/Lemberger, Finger Lakes
- Mionetto Il Lambrusco, Veneto
We hope you’ll be able to join us next week for this spectacular event. Make this Thanksgiving a memorable one and have a happy holiday!
Halloween is this Saturday, have you made plans yet? Despite what everyone says, Halloween isn’t just for kids! Adults of all ages can enjoy this fun holiday and Baker Distributing wants you to have the best Halloween yet! So with that said, here’s a list of some frightfully fantastic celebrations happening in Vermont!
October 31st: The Killarney, Ludlow VT
Come to the Killarney Irish Pub in Ludlow, VT from 12pm to 2am for some Halloween fun! We’ll be giving away prizes all night from Guinness and Smithwicks. Costumes are not required, but highly encouraged!
October 31st: Eagle’s, Bennington VT
The Eagle’s Club in Bennington, VT will be hosting a Halloween party from 8pm to 10pm. Join us for drink specials, fun and prizes from Sam Adams.
October 31st: Ramunto’s, Bennington VT
Join us at Ramunto’s in Bennington for a fun Halloween bash from 7pm to 9pm. Come celebrate this ghoulish holiday with delicious eats, great drink specials, and prizes from Coors Light, Coors Lite and Sam Adams.
October 31st: JC’s Tavern, Bennington VT
In the Bennington area for Halloween? Join us at JC’s Tavern for a Halloween party from 8pm to 10pm. Enjoy good tunes, great company and drink specials, along with giveaways from Coors Light and Sam Adams.
October 31st: Kevin’s Sports Pub & Restaurant, Bennington VT
Come to the party at Kevin’s Sports Pub in Bennington from 9pm to close for a night of celebrating! This night will include drink specials, giveaways from Switchback and Sam Adams as well as live music from The Road Kings.
October 31st: Donovan’s, Bennington VT
Let Donovan’s in Bennington be your #1 Halloween party destination. From 8pm to close enjoy prizes from Coors Light and Sam Adams. This night will also include a DJ, costume contest with a cash prize, and food served all night long!
October 31st: Wobbly Barn, Killington VT
Celebrate Halloween with us at the Wobbly Barn in Killington, VT from 8pm to 2am. This night will have major giveaways, including a Killington season pass and two tickets to a masquerade Party sponsored by Dos Equis. It’s required that you come dressed in your best costume, so be sure to dress the best, and you could win big! This night will also have live music by the Tony Lee Thomas band with special guests!
We hope you can make it to one of these incredible Halloween Parties! Have a safe holiday and happy drinking!
22 Oct / 2015
Have you heard of the Two Roads Brewing Company? They are a fantastic startup craft brewery located in Stratford, Connecticut and have been brewing beer since December of 2012. Two Roads is now the largest brewery in Connecticut and has doubled its brewing capacity in less than one year. The brewery is expected to create 70 jobs in Stratford over the next 10 years. We are excited to share with you that Baker Distributing will now be carrying Two Roads and will begin shipping the brand statewide this week!
More than three years after its grand opening, Two Roads draws on average, 300 people to its tasting room on the weekends. On tap, you can find a wide range of classic brews including seasonal offerings like Roadsmary’s Baby,
which is a Pumpkin Ale aged in Rum Barrels, or Road Jam, a Raspberry Wheat Ale with Lemongrass. You can also find year-round beers such as the Ol’ Factory Pils, Lil’ Heaven Session IPA or the Workers Comp Saison.
The Two Roads tasting room offers pints and tasters of their best beers to enjoy at the brewery. They also offer six-packs & growlers as beer to-go options. Looking to tour the brewery? They offer those too! They typically last about an hour and the cost is just $5. The tours have become quite popular, so be sure to plan ahead and arrive early if you are planning on taking a tour. If you are looking to experience a private tour, Two Roads asks that you book it at least two weeks in advance.
We’re thrilled that Two Roads Brewing Company is now available in Vermont for your drinking pleasure! Have you tried any of Two Roads beers before? If so, which style is your favorite? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook!
16 Oct / 2015
If you read the news frequently, you may have noticed this week that Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest beer company, and SABMiller, it’s top competitor, will most likely, join together to merge into one gigantic beer company. Three offers were recently put on the table from AB InBev, however, SABMiller rejected those offers, citing the offers were too low. The brands did agree “in principle”, that AB InBev’s fifth offer to SABMiller would be accepted.
“The Board of SABMiller has indicated to AB InBev that it would be prepared unanimously to recommend the all-cash offer,” the companies stated in a release. The release also noted that “AB InBev would agree to a “best efforts” commitment to obtain any regulatory clearances prior to the deal. Should AB InBev fail to receive regulatory approval it will pay SABMiller a $3 billion fee.”
This is not quite a formal offer, and AB InBev has been admitted an extension from British regulators and now have until October 28th to make the offer. The companies said there “can be no certainty a formal offer will be made, it seems likely to deal will come to fruition,” they stated. The question now remains: How will this merger affect marketers? Both of the huge beer companies have recently acquired new agencies, including MillerCoors, earlier this month, and Budweiser signed up with Wieden + Kennedy this past July.
“Combined, AB InBev and SABMiller would house some of the world’s most recognizable beer brands under the same roof including AB InBev’s Budweiser, Corona and Stella Artois, and SABMiller’s Miller Lite, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Grolsch,” stated AdWeek.
Do you think this merger will draw scrutiny from regulators worried about how it might hurt competition & lead to higher prices for shoppers? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook.
Magic Hat Brewing Company is turning 21 and they want to celebrate with you! They are throwing the most unusual birthday bash with a themed party: The Night of the Living Dead! The bash is taking place at the ECHO Lake Aquarium & Science Center on Friday, October 30th at 8pm.
Want to know about this ghoulish celebration? Here are the details for this exciting event:
- Live Music from Lespecial & Tauk
- Bewitching Magic Hat brews and tasty treats
- Diabolical dancing to otherworldly sounds in the s-s-silent disco with performances by The Human Canvas
- Creations by Reliquarium imbued with the forces of life and death in reverence to the power of the natural world.
- Come unusually attired for the underworld’s eeriest group costume contest for a chance to win howling good prizes (including $500 in cold hard cash!).
- And much more for a frightfully fantastic celebration so extrasensory it’s scary!
Tickets are ON SALE NOW! The cost is $15 in advance, $18 DOS and you must be 21+ to enter. Note: Ticket includes entry, a free #9 infused cupcake, and a sample of Magic Hat’s raspberry stout- Feast of Fools! $5 per ticket, will benefit the ECHO Leahy Center For Lake Champlain!
We hope you can make it to this event of monstrous proportions!
02 Oct / 2015
It’s hard to believe that summer has come and gone. The new fall season has arrived and that crisp chill in the air makes us realize that in fact, winter is on the way. You don’t need to think about putting on your winter mittens and galoshes just yet, there’s still plenty of time to enjoy this lovely time of year in Vermont. However, if you are a fan of hockey and the annual Pond Hockey Tournament, you may want to start thinking about the upcoming tournament and securing your team for the 2016 tourney!
The Pond Hockey Classic is gearing up for another winter on the ponds! In 2016, the PHC will host four tournaments which will see over 475 teams and an estimated 3,300 participants will take to the ice to “Bring Hockey Back to the Basics”. The 5th annual Lake Champlain Pond Hockey Classic will be taking place right here in Colchester, Vermont! On October 1st at noon EST, teams from all over North America will have the opportunity to register their teams and secure a spot in the PHC event. Registration is conducted directly through the PHC website. If you are a team that is interested, please visit the the Pond Hockey Classic website to register. Select the event you wish to compete in by clicking it’s respective logo and complete the registration form all the way through the payment screen. Please Note: Spots are limited in all four tourneys and select events are expected to sell out fast.
Interested in signing up your team? Here’s a rundown of what to expect out of the tournament:
- Date: February 12th-14th, 2016
- Venue: Lake Champlain, Mallets Bay, Colchester, VT
There will be two games Friday and two games Saturday with playoff rounds Sunday should your team qualify. The Open, 30+, 40+ and 50+ Division may register 4 to 6 players per team. The Shinny (Under 35 and 35+), Twig and Womens Division may register an additional 2 players for a maximum of 8. The maximum number of players per team is set in stone with no exceptions! This is to maintain the integrity of the event in regards to fatigue levels through games and tournament weekend.
What you’ll need to complete this process:
- Team fee is $600. During the month of September a $100 non-refundable deposit will be taken to reserve your teams spot for the 2016 tournament. The remaining balance will be charged to your card on November 15th, 2015.
- Teams who sign up after October 1, 2015 will be required to pay in full to reserve their spot for the 2016 tournament.
- Have your valid Visa, Master Card, Discover or checking account ready, and make sure to have the card holder’s name and accurate billing address ready.
- You will also need to provide the following information for at least four of the players on your team at the time of registration: name, age, email, and phone number.
If you have any questions about the tournament, please visit the Pond Hockey Classic website for more information. Mark your calendars and join the PHC on the ice in 2016 – “It’s Gonna be CLASSIC!”